Sunday, June 16, 2013

What being a father means to me

I am the proudest father of a 5 1/2 year old boy. He keeps me honest. He keeps me humble. He keeps me focused.
Honest? He forces me to constantly evaluate what I am trying to accomplish in my life. Everything I do comes back to my relationship with him. Am I providing the kind of role model I want for him?
Humble? He reminds me that I can always do better. Do better for myself, for my wife, for my family. Nothing is worth doing if you aren't giving it 100%.
Focused? He serves as constant reminder of why I am doing what I do. I want him to know this:
 It is better to go after what you want in life and fall flat on your face in failure than to sit around, watch life pass you by and suffer the insufferable question, "I wonder what my life would have been like if I had tried?"
These are the lessons he teaches me every day. It is the price of admission to fatherhood. I am by far the richer man for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment