Friday, June 14, 2013

Hello, world!

So, here it is. I am the sort of person who has started more than a few blogs in his time. This marks possibly the fourth in a rather long dismal line of failures to launch.
They usually get about as far as this...et fin.
But no longer!
"Josh, whatever has changed?"
Well, you didn't actually ask, but I'll answer nonetheless. My blog = my prerogatives.
I wanted a venue where I could express myself that didn't actually involve spamming family and friends with my usual half-baked Facebook musings. This will serve as my dumping grounds of the the one thing I geek out the most over:
Acting.
I have done it, for good or ill, nearly seven years now if the calendar serves me right. I got my start standing around in my friend's small production office back in Boston, MA. At the time a life in drama had never actually occurred to me. I had been a 3D computer artist for years at that point, making decent enough money, shared an apartment with my wife. There was no particular amount of discontent in life. Not till that fateful day. It was an innocent enough comment cast out during a simple conversation:
"I bet you'd be a great actor."
Never has such a casual statement caused me so much anguish and joy. I went home that night buzzing from this new concept. I remember telling my wife, as she lay in bed that very night that I wanted to look more into acting.
I bought my first book on the subject, David Mamet's " True and False" the next day. I would proceed to read it cover to cover no less than five times consecutively. The idea utterly mesmerized me. I can't explain it. I was obsessed, in the purest definition of the word.
I talked about it endlessly. I wrote about it. I read about it.
But I hadn't actually DONE it.
Finally, my wife threw down the gauntlet and challenged me. She sent me to a one day adult education class on this very subject I had tortured her with for a year.
I was dreadful. It was scary, humiliating, exasperating.
I freaking loved it.
I have been doing it ever since.
My friend's off-handed comment seven years earlier was the proverbial butterfly flapping it's newly-dried wings in the Andes, sending a gentle gust that propelled me to where I am today. A professional looking to make his creative statement in the entertainment capital of the world, Hollywood, CA.
Success or failure, I will love the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment