Thursday, June 27, 2013

Walk the walk

"They never call!"
I sent my head shots out for seven different projects today. Fingers crossed!"
"My reel is positively anemic! I just can't get any good footage!"
Sound familiar? I personally have dealt with this from day zero. It wasn't really till this past year that I realized I was doing myself a disservice. 
Like most people in this profession, I presumed that my success was entirely dependent upon the good will of others. That is a very disheartening way to approach something you are passionate about. The one thing I would sell my everlasting soul for requires more than indifference from the powers that surround a seemingly impenetrable industry.
I continued in this vain till one day when a friend from a film project contacted me to see if I could help with a comedy web series. I figured it would be a fun distraction while I awaited my shot at fame.
I showed up at a restaurant where they planned to shoot a number of scenes for their first season. I was floored at the level of professionalism I witnessed. Who was running this machine?!
Turns out, actors. Like me. These two girls, I will call them "The Jenns", wrote, produced and starred in their own comedy sci-fi series. 
This was the missing piece of the puzzle for me.
So many of us sit by the phone, attend workshops and beg borrow or steal time with the folks who may one day invite us in to audition for something we may ultimately not prove right for. Wash, rinse and repeat.
It had honestly never occurred to me that it was possible to write the perfect part for me, let alone produce it and get it out into the universe.
"The Jenns" are doing just that. They released the tenth and final episode of season one this week. They are already developing season two. That is commitment. That is passion. That is two actors who decided not to wait for Hollywood's permission to show how great they are.
To someone like me, they are an inspiration and an example of how serious you have to be to make it in show business. We don't have to sit in the stands and wait for our chance to play. We can just play.
The cost of admission has never been cheaper. The technology needed to play with the big boys is literally sitting on a rack at Best Buy these days.
You have power over your career. Show the world you are serious about what you do. Show them you aren't in the business of being ignored. You became an actor to do just that. Act. You didn't put all this money, heart and effort into the hopes someone would offer you the chance to act.
Be that chance you have been waiting for.
Check out the fruits of "The Jenns" tireless labors here:
www.guideswebseries.com
Oset with "The Jenns"

1 comment: