Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Who are you again?

I have a "linkedin" account. I've had one for a number of years now. Mostly it was a fun way to keep up on the lives of colleagues who come and go throughout the meandering life of a professional. It has become of more importance to me in the last couple of years. I've used it to make new contacts, share this blog with relevant groups who share my interests and begin the slow process of networking.
It's a great tool. Absolutely.
You see, I used to bill myself as a 3D Artist. Had since 2001 at least. In a career of any length, you make a lot of friends and contacts.
I have a lot.
As a result I get a lot of endorsements for my skills in those jobs. Every imaginable thing you can do creatively on a computer I get endorsements for. Hell, I get endorsements for jobs I DON'T know how to do.
The problem I encounter is that it largely represents a past life. One I had to make a conscious decision to step away from to pursue the business of acting. Don't get me wrong, it was a mutual parting of ways. My second job in as many years disappeared. It was the event that forced me to evaluate my goals and finally go after what I wanted for myself. It was a great thing.
I only recently came to understand why I keep receiving these endorsements for a life I no longer live.
I never truly declared myself. 
Not to past colleagues nor to friends. I was afraid to own this dream of mine. It was a comfort to think I could slip back into my old ways of staring at computers and punching the clock should this whole "dream thing" not pan out. 
Having something to fall back on is such a cuddly warm blanket. It means we have nothing to lose. We never have to stick our neck out. We can poke our fork around the edges of our aspirations and not take the dangerous path of cutting into that sucker.
Well, I guess this is it. Here I am world. I am declaring myself. I have a shiny new shingle on my door:
Josh McHugh. He Acts.
You don't even have to knock.

2 comments:

  1. Good point, Josh. You seem to be doing a lot of self-assessment! Very valuable activity and something I'm sure most of us could do more of. Best wishes, Nick Simons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nick!
    I have had time for copious amounts of navel-gazing lately. It's been good exercise. Learning a fair amount about myself, but there is a twinge of guilt as I inflict it on the general population.:)

    ReplyDelete