Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Show. Don't tell.

"Have a secret."
This was the easiest piece of advice I have received in an actor's studio. These words (highly paraphrased) came from the mouth of perhaps one of the finest actors of our generation, Meryl Streep. She was asked about her process as an actress. It was later shared with me by an excellent acting coach. These words changed my approach to character instantly and broke that wall between myself and the role I performed.
Consider this.
We ALL have secrets. Every single one of us hides something about ourselves deep down. The guarding of this little truth informs so many of our decisions. They become who we are outwardly in many ways. They govern who we interact with and how we interact with them. They inform every relationship we have.
If you want a strong base to develop a character from as an actor, start by giving them a secret. It will help you understand your relationship with the other actor in the scene. It will give context to every line you say. It will help stir that inner-life that shows up so brilliantly on camera. Best of all, if you lose your way in a scene, you can always return to that little secret your character has and spring back to life.
What can that secret be?
Well, pretty much whatever feels right to you and your character. It should be something that is in line with the context of the story, certainly, but ultimately its only importance is that it gets you acting.
For an example, I will return to Meryl.
In the film "Kramer Vs. Kramer" She plays Mrs. Kramer, a woman in the middle of a divorce with her husband, played by another luminary, Dustin Hoffman. She says in her interview that she created Mrs. Kramer's inner life with a simple secret, one that informed every scene she shared with Dustin:
"She never really loved him."
She never told anyone her character's secret during the entire production of the film. It was for her alone, and it was used to stunning effect.
Meryl won the Academy Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role in Kramer Vs. Kramer in 1979.
In general, I typically refrain from giving acting advice. It is such a personal process, and honestly my own approach is in perpetual flux. I take what works, I disregard what doesn't, and I stumble on.
However, I confess that I do suffer from a healthy dose of hero worship.
When Meryl talks, I listen with every nerve that accepts raw data.
The changes to my work through this simple piece of advice were subtle yet profound. Give it a try and see what happens.

11 comments:

  1. Great article! I love the advice from Meryl Streep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. Thank you John!
    As a young actor, I am so crowded by books, classes and advice, it is now simoly important to trust and let the work do its thing. Thi skid of advice is so refreshing, because it is all about our own creative freedom and play!
    I look forward to reading more of you:)
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sasha!
    I have personally read so many books on technique, film business, blogs, articles. I've taken classes on both east and west coasts. You get so much advice, sometimes a lot of it contradictory. It can be rather stalling trying to sort out what to use and what to disregard. We as actors get hit from so many different directions. It was nice to learn of something that suited my work so simply, that I could begin playing right away and see demonstrable results. I hope you find something in it useful to your own work. Keep it up, Sasha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you:) I totally agree. I'm learning to let go, and rely more on the gut and the trust in our own desire to tell the story and be true to the character- and that bringing us closer to our specific life with that character.
    Nice to see you on twtter, colleague:)!
    -Sasha ( Alexandra )

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing secret! I certainly hope to use it to great effect next time I create a character. And next time. An next time. Thank you for sharing. xxx Barbara Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Barbara!The first time I heard this bit of wisdom, the slap that rebounded off my forehead echoed across years of wasted hamming on my part!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW thanks Josh, as I continued to read I found myself thinking back on the different characters she's played. I agree everyone has something to bring to the table. Acting is new to me and then not new. I had an outreach for abused children. Rather than beat them over the head with the bible, I'd have them act.

    Now I'm in front, on my own, giving myself the right to walk in a gift that I'd put on hold for over twenty years. Auditions can be intimidating sometimes...but this information is right on time. Thanks for sharing Josh

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing. Meryl Streep is one of a kind and how nice to share her 'secret' Will use, if I get a show/film.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing, its very kind of you ! Will Implement it when needed !

    ReplyDelete